Saturday, February 4, 2012

I speak and the Universe listens

I am fascinated by the idea that thoughts become things and a couple of months ago God decided to give me a little lesson in the concept. Several lessons actually. And all within a couple of weeks. Here's how that few days went.


It started on a Tuesday evening as I was out in my yard raking leaves. As I raked, the thought went through my head that I want to be one of those people who is so comfortable in their own skin that they can just suddenly dance in public without worrying about people watching. I just kept raking. That Friday, while I was at an incredible workshop with about 50 other people I was tapped on the shoulder by the presenter and had to go up on stage and dance by myself in front of all of those people as they followed me. Hmmm...that response from the Universe came quick!


Wednesday evening I ran to the grocery store to grab a few things. Money is extremely tight right now and I only had a little cash on me but it was enough to get the few items I was needing. It started to rain as I neared the store – a rain/snow mix since it was the last day of November. I noticed a homeless man crouched behind a strip mall rubbing his hands together trying to stay warm. My heart sunk. I could only imagine how miserable he must be. I ran in to the store and decided to cut back on what I was getting so I could buy this man a little bit of food. I couldn't do much but I had to do something. So after I bought my groceries I stopped in at the McDonald's and grabbed the man some food and a cup of coffee. I got in the car, hoping he would still be there. As I drove along the back of the strip mall he was gone. As I started to get on the road to head home I had the thought that I should go back and drive around the strip mall just in case. And there he was. I got out and handed him the food and coffee and he started to cry. Then I started to cry. I gave him a hug. He was so old, his skin was like leather and I felt how cold his hands were. I knew I had to do one more thing. I still had $7 in my wallet so I ran back to the store and bought a pair of gloves. I went back to the man and put the gloves in his pocket as he stood in the rain eating his food. I cried all the way home and I thanked God for a roof over my head. The next day a huge windstorm hit Utah and the large curly willow tree in our backyard was uprooted from the ground and landed on the roof above my bedroom damaging the roof but not putting a hole in it. Again, I thanked God for a roof over my head.


The next Tuesday as I drove home late at night after playing soccer, right in front of me was the biggest shooting star I have ever seen. The tail glittered behind it. I smiled as I thought about how incredible life is.


A few days later a quote went through my head: "The woods would be very silent if only those birds sang who sing the best." Odd little quote to go through my head. Little did I know that a couple of days later I would get a church calling to lead music for the little kids in Primary. Anyone who knows me knows I can't sing. At all. I laughed.


Yep, I better watch my thoughts! Thanks for listening to me Universe. And while I have your attention, there are a few more things I'd like to talk to you about!

No comments:

Post a Comment